About the School
The Little Garden of The Special People was opened in January 1998 by two qualified teachers in special education, both of whom have more than 20 years of teaching experience in public-funded institutions and private schools in the area of special education. The school is supported by a qualified visiting speech and language therapist, physiotherapist and psychology consultant.
Located on a 6000 sq. ft. purposeful landscaped garden, the schoolhouse is equipped with learning aids and facilities designed for special education program.
ProgramThe program is based on Individualized Educational Plan (IEP) and inspired by the highly acclaimed Reggio Emilia approach to early education.
- Extensive use of the natural and social environment to stimulate learning. Program focuses on creating a stimulating learning environment tailored to the unique needs of individual child
- Using the visual arts or graphic languages and play as means to express and represent experiences and understanding
- Intervention programs focus on developing skills and replacing dysfunctional behaviors with more appropriate ones. Long term project with the same teacher enables discovery of individual child's interest and motivation
- The Community Based Instruction Programs for our lower-functioning students emphasizes self-sufficiency skills
- The Life Skills Program focuses on basic survival skills. These programs are designed specifically for each student based on their needs, interests and abilities
- Student performance is measured through daily behavior logs, summarized weekly grade sheets and thorough samplings of each student's work. This enables the teacher and parents to observe, reflect and revisit ideas, feelings, experiences and the learning process of the children
Teaching StaffMohideen Ally
Advanced Certificate in Supported Employment- Social Service Institute (Singapore)
Studied Special Education- National Institute of Education (Singapore)
Post-graduate Diploma- Brisbane College of Advance Education (Australia)
Mastura Rashid Khan Surattee
Masters of Counselling- Monash University (Australia)
Bachelor in Special Education- Flinders University (Australia)
Diploma in Leadership & People Management- Lifelong Learning Institute (Singapore)
Certificate in Special Education- National Institute of Education (Singapore)
Trained Landscape Designer- School of Horticulture (Singapore)
Applied Psychology- Southern Cross University (Australia)
Dr Ajith Damodaran